We hope everyone has been having a fantastic summer up to this point. It’s hard to believe that we’re already entering August- where does the summer go? We’re going to be doing a new monthly blog post including all of the fun upcoming events in each of the communities VanLaecken Orthodontics is serving. We love each of these communities and think it’s important to show our support. We’re looking forward to attending many of these events and hope to see some familiar smiling faces while we’re there!
- Thursday Night Live: outdoor event held downtown Watertown through August 29th. Each week a different musical act takes the stage. Along with great music, there are plenty of fun activities for the family including: the Farmer’s Market, kid-friendly play areas, and different vendors taking place each week.
- Race for Chase: Race for Chase is a 2 person team, 10 mile bike / run event. Two people, one bike, many strategies, but only one goal…finish together. Race for Chase is a nonprofit event, with all proceeds going to a young person / family dealing with a medical condition. Come join a great event for a great cause!
- City Band Night: The Watertown City Band will perform every Tuesday Night out at Stokes Thomas City Park starting June 4th thru August 6th, 2019.
- Midco Free Day at Bramble Park Zoo: Midco is sponsoring a FREE Admission day for visitors at the Bramble Park Zoo. Plan to visit and bring the whole family to the zoo! Come see the over 800 animals and enjoy free admission, pop, and popcorn!
- Kids Make and Take- Cement Stepping Stone: On August 1st at the Parkview Nursery bring the kiddos in to create an adorable, keepsake stepping stone! We provide all the materials and decorations but if you have something special to add, feel free to bring it along. This is a messy project so old clothes are recommended and an adult must be present and assist. The cost is $8 and there’s no RSVP needed!
- Aqua Addicts Water Ski Show: August 8th August 22nd August 29th
- Brown County Fair: August 12th-18th: The Brown County Fair is a family-friendly week-long event held every August. The Larry Gerlach Grandstand is packed every year with big name entertainment. The Brown County Fair will has nightly entertainment at the grandstands. There is a carnival midway as well as two Expo buildings full of vendors for fairgoers’ shopping pleasure! The Brown County Fair also hosts the largest 4-H program in the state of South Dakota, and hosts many open class livestock and arts & crafts events. There’s always something for everyone at the Brown County Fair!
- Sizzlin’ Summer Nights Concert: Come downtown August 23rd for an amazing concert on Friday night, gates open at 6 pm and the concert will be from 7 – 11 pm. It will be a great opportunity to register for the Sizzlin’ Summer Nights Car & Bike Show, as well as enjoy some food trucks.
- Downtown at Sundown: Every Thursday- An outdoor music festival that runs through August 22nd. Free admission, free kids activities, a variety of local food and beverage options, and local retail vendors. There are several engaging activities and booths for guests to enjoy including face painting, inflatables, yard games, retail/shopping booths, local business booths, and food/drink stands with goodies available to purchase!
- Wing and Brew Fest: August 17th- Enjoy a fun-filled day that celebrates the best of summer. Enjoy yourself tasting dynamic wings from local vendors. It’s a mix of activities, food, and fun! New in 2019: All activities with take place inside the Swiftel Center arena. So rain or shine, it’s going to be a finger lickin’ fun time!
- Cultivating Courageous Kids: Yoga and Mindfulness for Young People: August 10th- The challenges young people face are profound. Our response needs to be even bigger. Our time together in this workshop will focus on why things are the way they are, how we can become trauma-informed and create trauma-informed spaces, and strategies we can use for better self-care to avoid compassion fatigue as well mind-body skills for emotional regulation that we can utilize with young people. This workshop is designed for teachers, childcare providers, counselors, parents, or anyone else who is interested in practicing mindfulness.
- Farley Fest Weekend: August 2nd- A weekend filled with great activities for all ages! We will have a variety of events running all weekend long, as well as vendors –both food and Arts in the Park! Participate in a fun Friday Corn Hole Tournament, Music by The Broken Oak, Ski Show and more. Saturday vendors, Inflatables and more! Saturday night will end with the County Concert featuring TYLER FARR!