Fall is officially here! There are tons of family-friendly events going on this month- be sure to check out all of the fun happenings in your local community. Here’s to hoping we have a beautiful October filled with changing leaves and NO snow.
“I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.”
- L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
- October 8, 2019 (6:30 PM - 8:00 PM): Jason DeShaw: Serenity in the Storm @ Krikac Auditorium, Northern State University. National award-winning mental health advocate and country musician from Montana, Jason DeShaw, is an advocate for mental health by combining his story and songs into a presentation entitled Serenity in the Storm. In addition to Mr. DeShaw’s presentation, local mental health agencies will be available to share community mental health resources.
- October 12th, 2019: Gypsy Days @ Northern State University/ Main Street for Parade. Each fall maroon and gold fever takes over the campus and community of Aberdeen during NSU’s annual homecoming celebration. The weeklong festivities include the crowning of a Gypsy Day queen and marshal. Northern students decorate business windows all around town with wolves-themed paintings. The week culminates the largest parade in SD: the Gypsy Day Parade, which includes floats and marching bands. The week also features Northern football, volleyball, and soccer games.
- October 19th, 2019 (11:00 AM- 4:00 PM): The Handmade Market @ Dakota Event Center. A fun, admission-free shopping event! The Handmade Market is a collection of vendors selling unique handcrafted items; re-purposed furniture, farmer’s market goods, and one-of-a-kind home decor.
- October 25th-26th (6:30-10:00): Haunted Forest @ Wylie Park. This is a thrilling, chilling and exciting Halloween event for youth and adults of all ages. Evening performances begin at 6:30 PM, but there will also be a matinee held on Saturday from 1:00-3:00 PM for youth too young to go at night. Trick or treating will take place!
- October 3rd-5th, 2019 (7:30 PM): Karing Kapers @ DD Miller Auditorium. Come for a night of singing, dancing, and loads of laughter! KK is a group of volunteers/performers that put on a show once a year to support the auditorium- it’s a fun fundraiser! Adult tickets are $13 in advance and $16 at the door. Student and Senior tickets are $7 in advance and $10 at the door. Advance tickets are available at HyVee, County Fair Foods, and Lone Pine Bar & Grill.
- October 12th, 2019: Harvest Festival @ The Watertown Event Center. This annual fundraiser is put on by the Arrow Education Foundation. It features an online silent auction (www.aefhrvst19.givesmart.com or text: aefhrvst19 to 52182) and a live auction. There are also several games and a reverse raffle with a grand prize of $5,000 to raise funds for the AEF’s mission to “genuinely enhance educational opportunities in students’ in the Watertown School District).
- October 25th, 2019 (5:30 PM): The Boys and Girls Club Annual Halloween Party. Join the Boy’s & Girl’s Club for their annual Halloween bash! Children Grade 6 and below are welcome (must be accompanied by an adult). The cost is $5 per child, 2 and under are free, and the ticket includes a meal and unlimited games with candy and prizes!
- October 26th, 2019 (2:00-6:00 PM): Zoo Boo @ The Bramble Park Zoo. This event is community supported trick-or-treating in a fun and safe environment while visiting the animals in the zoo. Businesses, organizations, and service groups set up themed booths for guests to visit and get some sweet treats. Costumes are encouraged!
- October 5th, 2019 (9:30 AM): Hobo Days Parade. Join us for the official kick off for Hobo Days! A series of floats built by students, community members, businesses, organizations, and clubs cruise through Brookings handing out candy and well wishes for a successful football game. The parade begins on campus near the Coughlin Campanile and heads south on Medary Ave. Locals tend to hand out hot chocolate, so keep an eye out!
- October 10th, 2019 (5:15-7:30 PM): Mystery Dinner Theatre @ The Children’s Museum of South Dakota. Unleash your inner detective at the Mystery Dinner Theatre! Help! A science experiment has gone terribly wrong. Reenact experiments, gather evidence, and work alongside SDSU Chemistry CLub members to solve this mystery. Meal is included with the registration fee.
- October 25th-27th, 2019 (8:00 PM): Haunted Trail @ McCrory Gardens. Things get spooky at the McCrory Gardens for the annual Haunted Trails, sponsored by SDSU Theatre, Alpha Psi Omega, and Sigma Phi Epsilon. Expect some scary nightmares to come alive while walking the dark gardens!
- October 31st, 2019 (4:00-6:00 PM): Trick or Treat on Main. Bring your princess, goblin, witch, and superhero to the streets of Downtown Brookings for Trick or Treat on Main! This annual tradition is a family-friendly opportunity for kids to “run amuck” and fill their bags with candy. Each participating business will have balloons at their door to signify a sweet spot to Trick or Treat.
- October 31st, 2019. Treat Street.